Wednesday, August 11, 2010

In 20 Years, What Will I be Doing?

This past weekend, my dad went to the States for a high school (from China) reunion for all the past students from his year who are now oversea.  They all seem rather successful (apparently), and their sons and daughters pretty much all attend Ivy Leagues. (Harvard, Carnegie Mellon, Princeton...and on and on)  Typical Asian-American kids.

LOL

I can imagine their conversation when they prodded my father about me...

Them:  Yea, my kid goes to Harvard for Political Science**!  Where does your daughter attend?
Dad:  University of Waterloo.
Them: Water what?
Dad: Wah-tah-loo. Like, sui and ce suo!
Them:  ...I see, ...it must be famous in Canada...? What does she study? 
Dad: Biotechnology and Chartered Accountancy.
Them:  What?! Why does she study such an odd combination?
Dad:  I don't really know... I think she likes science and business, and couldn't make up her mind.
Them:  I see...That's great...!  (but clearly not as great as MY child. MUAHAHAHA.)


** I hope his son becomes the first Asian-American to be the President of USA.  That would be the coolest thing ever.


I'm sorry daddy if I embarrassed you! 
And thank you for letting me study this.
And thank you for supporting me, albeit quietly.
I'll make you proud, I swear.
I say this here because I know I won't have to courage to say it to you directly.

4 comments:

  1. Just so you know, Political Science Degrees are useless degrees. Without a doubt, the degree/s you are taking is of much more value. How would I know? I'm taking Political Science. What a useless degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's a useless degree! With Bachelor of Poli Sci, your possiblities are endless!


    And, you never know, maybe you'll be the next President/Prime Minister! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Political Science teaches you why we have a government, but it does not teach you how to RUN a government which is the problem. Hence the reason why it's value is around 36k annually. A person who has majored in Economics should definitely be the President/Prime Minister. Eitherway, fight your little sister if she ever wants to take Political Science and slap your Father's friend's son. Hard. In the face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.apsanet.org/content_6457.cfm

    There are so many things that you can do with that degree! But I see what you are trying to say. :( I guess in the end, it's what you do with your degree, not what the degree does for you...!

    ReplyDelete