Friday, August 13, 2010

Ten Years Down the Road, We'll be Alright

I took my younger sister, Yuka, out for sushi last night, because I promised her from a while ago.  She's 8 years younger than me, 2 heads shorter, and probably a billion times smarter than I was when I was her age.  We talked about her excitement for school to start, the mean girls in her class who only talks about being pretty (I KNOW! 10 years old, and "those" kind of girls already exist!  I thought they only started popping up at around 13-14 years old...), and her love for Justin Bieber.

It was a great sister bonding experience, needles to say.  I really do think she'll turn out to be a great person!  She had her snobby phase in grade 1, but really, who isn't snobby at age 7?

Sometimes, I really resent the age gap.

I want to talk to her about our problems, our goals, our aspirations.  I want to share clothes with her, do each other's hair and make up.  I want to giggle the night away talking about boys and stuff like that.  The stuff you see on TV between two sisters.  But she's 8 years younger.  I can't bring up the scary problems I face.  I can't just ruin her perfect little world with my issues.  For Yuka, boys have cooties.  Make up is a hassle.  Problems? What problems?  What's a career?  Money falls from the sky!  Tears only form when yawning or when she loses her  favourite hair-tie. 

But in 10 years, When I'm 28, and when she's 20, I think we can do all the things we see on TV.  The age gap will start to become irrelevant.  I can't wait! :)


Until then, I'll watch over her.  Make sure she doesn't get too hurt from the reality of the world.  Make fun of Justin Bieber. Make sure she becomes an awesome person.  Have a unique sisterly relationship.  Be known as "the cool older sister" amongst her friends. 

I think I might like it this way afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment